Elephant Sanctuary Chiang Mai
One day trip
The elephant camp is located in elephant valley about 40kms from Chiang Mai. This site was traditionally used as a stop over between the nearby Karen village and the city. Co-founded with the local Karen people, this camp was developed based on the traditional Karen village model of housing, rice fields, vegetable gardens and lodgings for the elephants.
We continue to work in cooperation with the karen hilltribe and other local tribes people to maintain the camp.
At Camp, our elephants are healthy and happy and used to being a part of the village community. We manage their breeding and reproduction to ensure the elephant population is appropriately maintained. We manage their diets and ensure there is enough of the right type of food in the area to keep them healthy. Our elephants are free to wonder the property under the supervision of their mahouts to ensure they get adequate exercise every day.
There is one mahout per elephant and they work together as companions for many years at a time. Working as a mahout is a lifetime commitment, the mahout stays with their elephant day and night, taking care of their elephant’s every need and requirement.
:: Schedule ::
- Pick up from your hotel between 8:00-8:30 am
- Drive about 1 hour to the elephant camp.
- Arrived at camp, guide explains about the background and nature of the elephants.
- Prepare food and cut sugarcan for the elephants.
- Learn how to make herbal vitamin and medicine for the elephants.
- Enjoy Lunch - Pad Thai
- Walking with the elephants about 45 mins to their natural habitat.
- Take a mud spa with elephants.
- Bath and brush elephants in the natural river.
- Say goodbye to the elephants and return to the city.
- Return to your hotel around 5:00 - 5.30 pm
:: Price ::
1,800 Baht per person